By Andrea Price, TAP Member Representing Ohio
The Taxpayer Advocacy Panel is comprised of civic-minded citizen volunteers from all walks of life representing each state, D.C., Puerto Rico and an international member (citizens living, working or doing business abroad). TAP is a Federal Advisory Committee whose mission is to listen to taxpayers, identify taxpayers’ issues and make suggestions for improving the IRS service and customer satisfaction.
Everyone has something to say about taxes and the IRS. Please take a moment to give us your suggestions for TAP to consider by contacting one of the following:
TAP Ohio member: email@example.com
Call toll-free at:1-888-912-1227
COVID Tax Tips and 2019 Income Tax Return deadline is July 15
IRS 2020-65 and 118
There are many easy-to-use tools on available on IRS.gov. Even better, they are available 24 hours a day. These tools help people file and pay taxes, find information about their account and get answers to tax questions.
Here are a few things that people can do with a quick visit to IRS.gov.
Filing a tax return
Taxpayers who earned $69,000 or less in 2019 can file using free brand-name tax software with IRS Free File. People who earned more and want to do their own taxes can use Free File Fillable Forms. These are the electronic version of IRS paper forms. Either way, everyone has a free electronic filing option on IRS.gov/freefile.
As the July 15 tax-filing deadline − postponed from April 15 − draws near, the Internal Revenue Service is reminding all taxpayers who have yet to file their 2019 federal tax return to file electronically now, choose direct deposit for their refund, or pay any tax owed electronically.
Taxpayers who owe for tax year 2019 or need to pay 2020 estimated taxes originally due for the first quarter on April 15 or the second quarter on June 15 can schedule an electronic payment up to the July 15 due date.
Schedule a payment electronically
Taxpayers can file now and schedule their federal tax payments up to the July 15 due date. They can pay online, by phone or with their mobile device and the IRS2Go app. When paying federal taxes electronically taxpayers should remember:
• Electronic payment options are the optimal way to make a tax payment.
• They can pay when they file electronically using tax software online. If using a tax preparer, taxpayers should ask the preparer to make the tax payment through an electronic funds withdrawal from a bank account.
• IRS Direct Pay allows taxpayers to pay online directly from a checking or savings account for free, and to schedule payments up to 365 days in advance.
• Taxpayers can choose to pay with a credit card, debit card or digital wallet option through a payment processor. No fees go to the IRS.
• The IRS2Go app provides the mobile-friendly payment options, including Direct Pay and Payment Provider payments on mobile devices.
• Taxpayers may also enroll in the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System and have a choice of paying online or by phone by using the EFTPS Voice Response System.
View federal tax information online
Taxpayers can go to IRS.gov/account and securely access information about their federal taxes. They can view the amount owe, access their tax records on-line, review their payment history, and view tax return information for the current year’s tax return as originally filed.
Get answers to tax questions
The Interactive Tax Assistant tool can help taxpayers get answer many tax questions, a tax law resource that works using a series of questions and responses. IRS.gov has answers for Frequently Asked Questions,
Get answers to Economic Impact Payment (stimulus checks) questions
There is a special section of IRS.gov where taxpayers can find information about their Economic Impact Payment. Both of these tools are available in English and Spanish.
• Get My Payment – People should use this to check payment status and see the payment type. In some cases, taxpayers may be able to provide bank account information for direct deposit.
• Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here – This free tool allows eligible people who don’t normally file taxes to easily and quickly provide information to register for their payment. Do not use this tool if you are required to file a 2019 tax return.