What Is The Sojourner’s Truth?
The Sojourner’s Truth is an innovative weekly newspaper serving the African-American community in the northwest Ohio area. The Truth started publication in April of 2002 and has grown to a readership of over 70,000 readers today.
The Truth is a newspaper that is published by, for and about the African-American community. We strive to bring our readers in-depth information about education, business, arts, cultural activities and local and national politics. We also pride ourselves on maintaining a proper objectivity about the news we present and up-to-date opinion and editorials on things that are of importance to the community.
The Truth is an active participant in community events and we offer advertisers an opportunity to reach northwest Ohio’s largest minority population not only to promote goods and services, but also to reach out to a vast employee pool.
The Truth is a proud member of the Society of Professional Journalists and our staff are also members of the Northwest Ohio Black Media Association, the National Association of Black Journalists and the Toledo Press Club.
Where Is The Sojourner’s Truth?
The Truth is everywhere in the greater Toledo metropolitan area. We can be found in over 400 locations, including dining and entertainment establishments, retail and specialty stores, office buildings, all public library branches, hotels, universities, government offices and all of the area’s Kroger supermarkets, including those in Sylvania, Perrysburg, Maumee, Bowling Green, Oregon and Lambertville, MI. Click here for a complete list.
America’s Booming Minority Market
The overall population of the Toledo/Lucas County area may have decreased during the last decade, but the African-American segment of that population did not. In fact, the black population rose by almost six percent during the most recent decennial census in Lucas County.
A typical reader of the Truth is 43.9 years old. Sixty percent have attended college, 90 percent have a high school diploma; 54 percent are female, 46 percent are male.
From an advertiser’s point of view, one of the vital statistics to be considered is one which reflects the black community’s surge in income and purchasing power. Nationwide, African-Americans comprise a market segment that has a buying power of almost $600 billion.
Toledo’s black community is clearly on the upswing, both from the standpoints of economy and numbers. Just as clearly, Corporate America can not afford to overlook this important part of its customer base.
A well-designed advertising campaign in an appropriate medium such as The Sojourner’s Truth will attract many more customers.
Why Advertise in The Sojourner’s Truth?
Affluent African Americans Represent 45% of AA Buying Power
According to a recent Packaged Facts study, reported by MarketingCharts, African Americans are crucial to the consumer economy, with a population of 39 million and buying power of $892 billion, and expected to exceed $1.1 trillion in 2012. This represents a cumulative growth of 28.4% during the forecast period.
Additional findings from the study:
54% of African-American buying power lives in the South. Other key buying power segments:
- Residents of central cities ($430 billion, or 48% of the total)
- Married couples ($428 billion or 48% of the total)
- Households with an income of $75,000 or more ($405 billion, or 45% of the total)
There are 2.4 million African-Americans in $75K+ households, and they are:
- More likely than other affluent consumers to spend money on fashionable dress, toiletries and cosmetics, and cruise vacations
- Less likely to use the internet to plan shopping trips, gather information for shopping, or make online purchases
African-American consumers create a wide range of possibilities for marketers in various industries:
- 3.9 million black consumers spend $150 or more per week on groceries.
- 7.6 million African Americans said they exercise regularly at home, which opens up possibilities for marketers of exercise equipment
- African-American men and women represent 22% and 26% of all suit-buyers, respectively
- Approximately 9 million African Americans plan to buy a new vehicle, accounting for more than 9% of all consumers who plan to purchase a new vehicle
Black media continue to offer advertisers access to African-American consumers, who also share many of the mainstream media preferences of other American viewers and readers:
- Television is a top source of media consumption, with 4 in 10 households containing 4 or more televisions.
- Spending on magazines is 6% more than the national average.
- Radio and newspapers are less popular than the average.
- Internet use is still lagging, but by 2012 penetration in the African-American community is expected to reach 62%.
Let The Sojourner’s Truth Work for You
Call our offices at 419-243-0007, or email one of account executives, about creating an advertising campaign for your business. They will work with you and your business to create the image you want to convey to your potential customers. They will give you creative ideas on advertising and the pitfalls to avoid.
We will then design an advertisement and have you proof the ad for accuracy and appeal. An ad that doesn’t fit your business is worse than a pair of shoes that are three sizes too small.
The costs for our production services are minimal and, in fact, will be waived depending on the total amount of the ads themselves.
Desktop Publishing Services
Try The Truth for your desktop publishing needs. Our staff has had years of experience in this area.
We have the capability to support communications or distribution projects for your company. Newsletters, leaflets and logos are but a few of the assignments that can be done by The Truth.
We can handle elements of a project. For example, we have a 42-bit scanner that can put logos, clip art of photos into digital layout and will work for either Macintosh or IBM compatible computers.
If you need a proposal, call The Truth at 419-243-0007
- Must be received no later than Friday at noon for inclusion in the next weeks’ issue.
- Ads submitted after the deadline will be inserted at the Editor’s discretion or may be force-added at an addition charge.
- 4-Color is available for an additional cost.
Call (419) 243-0007 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for rates.
- Minimum 300 dpi (prefer 600dpi)
- jpg, tiff, eps or pdf
- Embed all fonts or convert to paths/outlines
- Full Page: 10.25″ wide x 15.25″ tall
- 1/2 Page: 10.25″ wide x 8″ tall
- 1/4 Page: 5″ wide x 8″ tall
- 1/8 Page: 5″ wide x 4″ tall
- Business Card: 3.25″wide x 2″ tall
Sojourner’s Truth Column Widths
|One column||1.5 inches|
|Two columns||3.25 inches|
|Three columns||5.0 inches|
|Four columns||6.75 inches|
|Five columns||8.5 inches|
|Six columns||10.25 inches|
Please note that these prices are for camera-ready advertisements only. Any item requiring creation, scanning, changes or additions are subject to a minimum charge of $45.00 per hours. (One hour minimum)
Classified ads are $17.00 per column inch. All abbreviations will be spelled out. Example: 3BR home for sale w/2 baths and a 350 sq. ft. pole barn. Ad will read: 3 bedroom house for sale with 2 baths and a 350 square foot pole barn.
All submissions must be submitted in writing accompanied by a check. Your submission must include current name, address, telephone number and signature. Post Office Box addresses are not accepted. There will be a $25.00 service charge added for any check returned for any reason. The publisher has the right to refuse to accept advertisements containing material deemed objectionable. The publisher’s criteria of acceptability is final for all ads placed.
Every political ad must state that it is “Paid Political Advertising”. This must be printed in at least 8 pt. type across the heading of the ad in addition to other legal requirements. All political ads must be pre-paid.
Now you can advertise with us ONLINE!
Call (419) 243-0007 or e-mail email@example.com